Sunday, March 27, 2011

It's About Damned Time!

I finally did it. I've been walking past my weight bench and not looking at it for 6 months (OK, OK, it's been a year, maybe more) now, always telling myself that "tomorrow I will get back to it".  I sort of had it cleaned off a month or two ago, but just couldn't get my fat ass to work. I should have been on it a year ago.
 Well, now that I have gotten a clean bill of health on some issues that were 'causing me concern', I have no excuse. If I am going to make a change, today was the day.
 So I started by recording all my vitals and baseline statistics. No, I am not going to share them with you. I am not going to set goals with hard numbers, that's not the point.
 Instead I am going to set this goal, and you will just have to take my word for it, if it comes up again. I am going to work out in some manner or form at least 4 days a week, even if it's only 20 minutes, and I am going to record any progress. My goal, if there is one, will be to get myself in better shape and increase my wind capacity and strength so I can last longer and go further, and feel better on incidents. My stretch goal is being able to do the 5k run at FDIC next year, if I can figure out a way to get there (to Indy, that is). 5k may not seem like much, but for me, it's something new.
 I have let myself go to pot, and the age thing is taking over. I plan to drop a few pounds (10 would be good) and add on some muscle, and keep it that way. I'm also hoping that the B/P will come back down and I can drop the Simvastatin. The cholesterol should also follow suit.
 I got in my first workout a few minutes ago and my hamstrings are tighter than the G-string on a 5 string banjo. I can barely walk upstairs. My biceps and gut feel about as bad. I have a long way to go, but at least I am off my ass and on my way. In an odd way, the pain feels kind of good.
 Some of you should think about doing the same.
 I also spent the day taking a hard look at myself in other ways. Beginning Tuesday you will learn a little bit more about me and my issues if you have an interest. I am going to ask your help in figuring out what to do with my life going forward. Think of it as another weird Blog contest, but with no prizes.  It could be an interesting experiment, or not.
UU

No comments:

Post a Comment