Monday, May 23, 2011

It's been a while...

Any of the folks who drive in my agency will tell you that when I am in the back I will tell my driver "Nice and easy to St. Nearest, if you please" and that I will say that 99.8% of the time. I don't like hot runs to the hospital for safety reasons and only would consider them if the patient was probably not going to make it unless we gained every second we could or there was nothing more we could do for this patient outside the Hospital.
 So I can tell you that I can count the number of hot runs I've had in the last 5 years on the fingers of one hand. The other week we had one and we all got to test out our sea legs. I can also tell you that I am now very familiar with the appearance, texture, and odor of  'coffee ground emesis' as well as 'coffee ground feces'. I could have gotten by without knowing what each looked like when spread, in copious quantities all over the floor of the ambulance. I got a case of the dry heaves on this one, but I kept working. The rig needed a good hosing out and decon anyway, and what better time than 2am on a Monday morning?
 I hope he made it.
UU

No comments:

Post a Comment