Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Handy WInter Tip

Hey here's a tip for those who work in colder climates. Regardless of the weather, we need to keep our trucks clean. If you have a station big enough to clean the trucks inside (we don't) then the task isn't so bad, but washing a truck when it's 15 or 20 degrees out can be a challenge, and unpleasant at best.
 To make the job a little easier on your hands, get a pair of diver's gloves. You can find them at Cabbella's or any other outdoor store this time of year. They are popular with ice fisherman. These gloves are made from the same neoprene that is used in wetsuits and will get water soaked, but they allow your hands to stay warm. They are also handy for water rescue ops in colder weather but do not do well with rope work. They are also great for pump ops, but these gloves may not last too long handling hose fittings. Mine are holding up well, but I don't get the kind of 'on the job time' that a career guy might have. All I know is that it beats the hell out of having wet cold hands.
 I've been using these for years and never thought about it much until I stopped by the station and my Cap was complaining that he lost feeling in his fingers from washing his truck. I threw him my gloves and by the time he finished, he was a convert.
 Your mileage may vary, but give it a try.
UU

No comments:

Post a Comment